Day 3: Coober Pedy, South Australia

It was about 4 hours from Woomera to Coober Pedy so it was nothing compared to our first couple of drives. But when there is absolutely nothing between 100 kilometres of each other, it really makes the drive seem like it is taking forever. You might see a kangaroo if you’re lucky, but most of the time it is just emus.

There was this railway line that just followed the road all the way to Alice Springs. We never saw a train on it once.

Coober Pedy is very dusty and it is a proper outback town. It is also the Opal capital of the world. We were staying at one of the smaller hotels in Coober Pedy. But in general, Coober Pedy is really small. It is really hot and there are these dogs that just wander around the streets all day. Half of them look like dingoes.

The place we had dinner at reminded me of one of those hotels you see in the wild west movies orĀ  something like that. The meals were huge but they weren’t too bad at all.

2 thoughts on “Day 3: Coober Pedy, South Australia

1. Hi Sam,
    I’ve never been to Coober Pedy but it sure sounds very ‘outback’. Just reading your story makes me imagine what it could be like but do you have a photo or two you could put in your post so that I can see just what it is really like in the outback.
    Mrs N

2. When I went to Coober Pedy in 2009 I stayed in this underground hotel and when the lights were of you could not see a thing. I really like the undergroud bookshop aswell.